Monday, March 14, 2011

Replacement Flatware Hampton



Our new cleaner came in today to get a tour of the office and sign some paperwork. At the time, I was standing by the fax in the corridor, Faxing letters to subcontractors, so I did not pay much attention, Mary took care of her. I tuned in to the conversation Only When I heard my name Mentioned. "I'm going to Introduce you to Joanna, she's our pay lady." - Mary said, and I looked up just as they both came into view. "Joanna, this is Yolanta, our new cleaner."

You know these thoughts that sometimes zoom through your head, but you don't really pay much attention to them because they're so fleeting, but then later on it turns out they were actually relevant? Well, I had one of those when Mary said the name - Yolanta. I thought: "Yolanta, my aunt's name is Yolanta… I didn't know that name existed in English-speaking counties, but clearly it does. Good to know."

We exchanged pleasantries, and then Mary led Yolanta to the kitchen, while I continued on with faxing my letters and filing. Suddenly, unexpectedly, I heard Yolanta say my name - and I looked up again, stunned this time. What surprised me to no end, was not the fact that she said my name (obviously), but that she said it properly, the way I haven't heard it said in a very long time, the way we pronounce it in Polish - Yo-ahnn-nah. The way it should be pronounced. A few seconds later, she cleared the corner and came into view again.

Yolanta: Rozumiesz po polsku?
Me: O_O O bosz...
Mary: What did she say? What did she say?
Yolanta: (to Mary) I just asked her whether she understands Polish, and she said "oh my god".

We had a looooong, long chat. Yolanta's 42, and she came to Australia when she was 13 with her parents.

Yolanta: Your English is very good, no accent! How long have you been here?
Me: Six and a half years.
Yolanta: After six years you already have no accent?!
Mary: It's excellent, isn't it?
Yolanta: It is!
Me: Well, so is yours.
Yolanta: Yeah, but I've been here 24 years! I know people that have been here 20 years and they still say "terrtin"! (thirteen)

Yolanta's whole family is here, and her two children don't even speak Polish.

Yolanta: What for? Polish is useless to them.
Me: You don't intend to go back, ever?
Yolanta: No.

Me: Do people call you "Yola"?
Yolanta: : D All the time! But only my family.

Me: Hey, do you know this song "Jolly Jolly, remember the summer of dreams, when pisałaś I feel so bad ..."
Yolanta: No, I do not know that song.
Me: NO!

That's how I knew she hasn't been to Poland in a veeery long time. It's an 80s song, and EVERYONE, Their Mothers and Their Dogs know that song.

Weeell, I'll have to bring her up to date, then. We swapped digits. :)
_____________________

Our new cleaning lady came today to the office late morning to scout the premises and there to fill these different forms. I then stood in the corridor at a fax and sent letters to about 20 subcontractors, so not really I paid attention, took Mary to her. I looked up just as the conversation fell on my name. "Come, I'll introduce you to Joanna, our accounting." After a few seconds, Mary, and such a small cake with pink and purple hair, emerged from behind the door frame. "Joanna, this is Yolanta, our new maid."

And here I had such a fleeting thought ... You know, this is what flashes in my head sometimes, but man it does not specifically attaches importance, and only after some time it turns out, however, that this thought was relevant and was accurate? I would run so I thought - oh, Jolanta, it's just like my aunt ... I did not know that in English speaking countries also have this name, yet. Good to know.

Wymieniłyśmy warmth, and Mary led Yolantę toward the kitchen, and I went back to my writings. Unexpectedly and suddenly - suddenly not to say! - Yolanta me exclaimed: "Joanna?" I looked up again, this time in a stupor - because here I heard my name pronounced correctly, in Polish, as I did not hear it spoken of very, very long time. No "Dżoana, Joanna. Yes, it should be. A moment later, Yolanta ran around the corner.

Jolanta: understand Polish?
Me: O_O About Bosz ...
Mary: (English) What did she say? What did she say?
Jolanta: (in English) I asked her, or understand Polish, and she said "oh my God."

Gadałyśmy two hours. Jolanta has 42 years, and emigrated to Australia with his parents at age 13.

Jolanta: But how well do you speak English, does not have an accent! How long have you been here?
Me: Six and a half years.
Jolanta: After six years you have no accent!
Me: But you also do not have.
Jolanta: Well, yes, but here I am already 24 years! I know people who are here for 20 years and still say "tertin! (thirteen - thirteen, note. Aut.)

Jolanta has two children who do not speak Polish.

Jolanta: And what are they? Polish for them is useless.
Me: This means that you do not intend to return? Never?
Jolanta: not.

Me: Hey, people say to you "Jola"?
Jolanta: : D all the time! But only family.

Me: Hey, you know the song "Jolly Jolly, remember the summer of dreams, when pisałaś I feel so bad ..."
Jolanta: No, I do not know.
Me: NO!

After that I knew that I was verbatim a long time in Poland. Because it's the song of the 80's, and everyone, EVERYONE, plus all the mother and the dog knows this song.

Well, you will need to Jolly doedukować. ;) Wymieniłyśmy się numerami.

0 comments:

Post a Comment